There are many reasons why a landing page is a good idea. It's a great placeholder whilst you're building your full blown website, especially if you have published your web address in marketing materials already released. Potential customers can/ will go there and gain basic information, e.g. what you do, contact details and get a flavour for what your business is about.
Another reason to have a landing page is to simply have some online presence. Your business may not be dependent on having a full blown website but having a landing page shows customers you are marketing through different channels.
But what makes a slick looking landing page?
1) Don't have too much content. A jumble of lots of different things will distract the user from your important message and what information they require.
2) Have contact details. These can include a relevant email address, social media links and even share and like buttons to spread the word about you.
3) Consider the hierarchy of information. Do you want viewers to see one of your iconic brand images first or your logo or perhaps your contact details. Consider these when sizing and placing the elements around the page.
4) Collect information. A simple signup form to your e-newsletter or contact form will do the trick. Collecting information from potential customers opens up lots of possibilities to stay in touch with them in the future.
5) Have a clear message. The message might be portrayed with one photograph or it might be a bold slogan under your logo. If there was one message you wanted the viewer to walk away with, what would it be?
To sumarise, focus on letting the page speak for itself through beautiful images, clear and simple layouts and overall a clear marketing message. Remember, first impressions count.